Welcome to SCC's STEM Academy!
What is SCC's STEM Academy?
- SCC's STEM Academy is an academic support for students pursuing majors, degrees and careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- Membership is optional and totally voluntary.
What are some of the benefits of joining STEM Academy?
Summer Research & Enrichment opportunities only open to STEM Academy students at SCC.
Scholarship dollars and awards only open to STEM Academy students at SCC.
STEM Pre-selection eligibility: The ability to "pre-select" your STEM courses early and receive priority registration in those courses
(NOTE: Only open to STEM Academy students who meet all program requirements each semester).
How Do I Join SCC's STEM Academy?
What are the requirements to join SCC's STEM Academy?
For New Students just beginning coursework at SCC:
- SCC is your Home Campus
- Minimum 2.7 GPA overall on your high school transcript
- Placed into a transfer-level STEM Math course (Math 160/170/180 or 219)
- Counseling appointment required during your first semester @ SCC
For Continuing Students at SCC to join STEM Academy:
- SCC is your Home Campus
- Must have completed at least 10 units of Math/Science coursework within the last year at SCC
- Maintain a 2.7 GPA minimum
- Complete a majority of your STEM classes at SCC
- Counselor appointment required during the semester you join STEM Academy, and every semester thereafter
What are the requirements to ensure I am eligible of "STEM Pre-selection" priority registration?
To remain eligible for STEM Pre-selection (i.e., priority registration in your STEM classes at SCC for each upcoming term), you must complete the following program requirements each semester:
- Join STEM Academy and maintain program requirements each semester (see above)
- One 45-minute Counselor appointment required per semester
- Create a "Transferology" account (go to www.transferology.com and create a free student account. For more details, click here)
- In addition to the steps above, participate in at least ONE additional STEM activity offered during the present semester that is STEM Academy-approved.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to participate in STEM Pre-Selection benefits, you must satisfy all program requirements for each semester that you are a member. Failure to do so during any membership term will result in your STEM Academy membership being terminated at the close of that incomplete term. If your membership is terminated due to failing to meet program requirements for any given term, you are encouraged to re-join STEM Academy during the following semester.
What are the current STEM Academy-approved STEM activities being offered this semester?
To remain eligible for STEM Pre-selection, you must create a "Transferology" student account AND complete one of the following approved activities during Spring 2018:
STEM WORKSHOPS - Spring 2018
- Transfer Shock & Transferology – Tuesday, March 6th from 10:00am-12:00pm, Room B-106.
- Undergraduate Research Interview Skills – Friday, March 23rd from 10:00am-12:00pm, Room E-304.
- Careers in STEM – Wednesday, April 25th from 2:00-4:00pm, Room E-304.
- Peer Stories Panel – Thursday, May 3rd from 2:00-4:00pm, Room E-304.
STEM EVENTS ON CAMPUS - Spring 2018
- Community Science Night - Friday, March 23, 2018: Come one, come all to SCC's Annual Community Science Night - showcasing some of the coolest, hands-on STEM activities we've ever offered at this wonderful community event. Want to get more involved? Students who serve as official SCC CSN volunteers will automatically meet their STEM Activity Credit requirement for Spring 2018. For more information on Community Science Night 2018, click here. To serve as an official CSN Student Volunteer, click on the following link to be taken to the sign-up page: http://signup.com/go/hHhNKka
- 2nd Annual SCC Research Symposium - April 13th, 2018: Do you have interest in conducting undergraduate research? Come hear from SCC students who have been actively involved in a wide variety of projects in the research community. The symposium will feature individual and group research projects, poster presentations, performances, and is a great way to learn more about the possibilities of participating in an undergraduate research project of your own. Click here for the event flyer.
Have you are already been a part of a research experience previously? Sign up to be a presenter and discuss your own research findings and experiences. Or join us as moderator for the SCC Research Symposium. Click here for the application to participate as a presenter or moderator.
- STEM DAY @ SCC - APRIL 17TH, 2018: Join STEM faculty, counselors, admin and staff at SCC for "STEM Day 2018" on Tuesday, April 17th. Participate in the many different STEM activities and events taking place this day, and receive credit for your STEM Activity Requirement.
For more information, please visit a STEM Counselor in the SCC Counseling Center, room D-106.