What is SCC's STEM Academy?
- SCC's STEM Academy is an academic support for students pursuing majors, degrees and careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- Membership is optional and totally voluntary.
What are some of the benefits of joining STEM Academy?
- Summer Research & Enrichment opportunities only open to STEM Academy students at SCC.
- Scholarship dollars and awards only open to STEM Academy students at SCC.
- STEM Pre-selection eligibility: The ability to "pre-select" your STE
M courses early and receive priority registration in those courses (NOTE: Only open to STEM Academy students who meet all program requirements each semester).
How Do I Join SCC's STEM Academy?
What are the requirements to join SCC's STEM Academy?
For New Students just beginning coursework at SCC:
- High School graduate, or a Senior in High School preparing to graduate this academic year
- SCC is your Home Campus
- Minimum 2.7 GPA overall on your high school transcript
- Placed into a transfer-level STEM Math course (Math 140/171/180 or 219/220)
- Counseling appointment required during your first semester @ SCC
For Continuing Students at SCC to join STEM Academy:
- High school graduate
- SCC is your Home Campus
- Maintain a 2.7 GPA minimum
- Be currently enrolled or already have completed a transfer-level STEM Math course (Math 140/171/180 or 219/220)
- Complete a majority of your STEM classes at SCC
- Counselor appointment required during the semester you join STEM Academy, and every semester thereafter
*Please Note: At this time, CAP and Dual Enrollment students (students attending SCC while also still in high school) are not eligible for some program benefits. Please speak with a STEM Counselor if you have questions.
What are the requirements to ensure I am eligible of "STEM Pre-selection" priority registration?
To remain eligible for STEM Pre-selection (i.e., priority registration in your STEM classes at SCC for each upcoming term), you must complete the following program requirements each semester:
- Join STEM Academy and maintain program requirements each semester (see above)
- One 45-minute Counselor appointment required per semester
- In addition to the steps above, participate in at least ONE additional STEM workshop or activity offered during the present semester that is STEM Academy-app
- PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to participate in STEM Pre-Selection benefits, you must satisfy all program requirements for each semester that you are a member. Failure to do so during any membership term will result in your STEM Academy membership being terminated at the close of that incomplete term. If your membership is terminated due to failing to meet program requirements for any given term, you are encouraged to re-apply to join STEM Academy during the following semester.
STEM WORKSHOPS - Fall 2022 - COMING SOON
Participating in at least one "virtual"/Online STEM Workshop this semester will satisfy one portion of your STEM Academy requirements.
Follow us on Instagram!