What is SCC's STEM Academy?
- SCC's STEM Academy is an academic support for students pursuing majors, degrees and careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- Membership is optional and totally voluntary.
What are some of the benefits of joining STEM Academy?
- Summer Research & Enrichment opportunities only open to STEM Academy students at SCC.
- Scholarship dollars and awards only open to STEM Academy students at SCC.
- STEM Pre-selection eligibility: The ability to "pre-select" your STEM courses early and receive priority registration in those courses (NOTE: Only open to STEM Academy students who meet all program requirements each semester).
How Do I Join SCC's STEM Academy?
What are the requirements to join SCC's STEM Academy?
For New Students just beginning coursework at SCC:
- High School graduate, or a Senior in High School preparing to graduate this academic year
- SCC is your Home Campus
- Minimum 2.7 GPA overall on your high school transcript
- Placed into a transfer-level STEM Math course (Math 140/171/180 or 219/220)
- Counseling appointment required during your first semester @ SCC
For Continuing Students at SCC to join STEM Academy:
- High school graduate
- SCC is your Home Campus
- Maintain a 2.7 GPA minimum
- Be currently enrolled or already have completed a transfer-level STEM Math course (Math 140/171/180 or 219/220)
- Complete a majority of your STEM classes at SCC
- Counselor appointment required during the semester you join STEM Academy, and every semester thereafter
*Please Note: At this time, CAP and Dual Enrollment students (students attending SCC while also still in high school) are not eligible for some program benefits. Please speak with a STEM Counselor if you have questions.
What are the requirements to ensure I am eligible of "STEM Pre-selection" priority registration?
To remain eligible for STEM Pre-selection (i.e., priority registration in your STEM classes at SCC for each upcoming term), you must complete the following program requirements each semester:
- Join STEM Academy and maintain program requirements each semester (see above)
- One 45-minute Counselor appointment required per semester
- In addition to the steps above, participate in at least ONE additional STEM workshop or activity offered during the present semester that is STEM Academy-app
- PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to participate in STEM Pre-Selection benefits, you must satisfy all program requirements for each semester that you are a member. Failure to do so during any membership term will result in your STEM Academy membership being terminated at the close of that incomplete term. If your membership is terminated due to failing to meet program requirements for any given term, you are encouraged to re-apply to join STEM Academy during the following semester.
STEM WORKSHOPS - Fall 2022
Participating in at least one "virtual"/online or on-campus STEM Workshop/Activity this semester will satisfy one portion of your STEM Academy requirements.
- STEM Career Workshop: Civil Engineering
Are you interested in a career in civil engineering? Curious to learn more about this career pathway? Join us to hear from Civil Engineer and presenter, Marcelino Ascencio - Learn about career opportunities in the pathway; a typical work day in civil engineering, and information on professional organizations and more!
- Date: September 14, 2022
- Time: 10:00 am - 11:00 am
- Location: SCC H-building, room H-106
- Strategies for Success in STEM
Strategies for success is designed to help students understand how to a) define success, b) set SMART goals, c) get organized, d) find opportunities, e) track progress toward goals, f) stay committed, g) learn from mistakes, h) identify and use resources, and i) seek help. This presentation can be tailored to meet your students' needs by focusing on academic success, funding/scholarship processes, conference and travel opportunities, or other agreed upon topics.
- STEM Transfer Plática
Join our conversation with successful transfer students majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) as they share their experiences when adjusting from their community college to Cal State Fullerton.
- Summer Research Experiences – Poster Presentation & Student Panel Discussion
- Hear from past SCC student research participants about their experiences in local undergraduate summer research programs! Research posters will be presented, followed by a Q&A session with panelists. And those interested are invited to stick around for the Undergraduate Research Experience (URE-23) kickoff workshop led by CSU Fullerton!
- Planned in-person @ SCC for Friday, November 4, 2022; 10:30am – 11:30 am;
- Undergraduate Research Experience (URE) Workshop (In-person)
- Students review the importance of an undergraduate research opportunity, discuss the benefits of conducting research, gain an understanding of how to search for local and national research opportunities, and talk about some of the steps to prepare or position themselves to conduct research. Students also go through an overview of the Undergraduate Research Experience (URE) provided by Project RAISE at Cal State Fullerton, hear from Peer Advisors about their research experiences, and review the URE application process.
- Planned in-person @ SCC for Friday, November 4, 2022; 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm;
You can also participate in one of SCC's excellent Career Workshops being offered this Fall – and in doing so will satisfy your STEM Activity requirement for the term:
Follow us on Instagram!