Welcome to SCC's STEM Academy!
What is SCC's STEM Academy?
- SCC's STEM Academy is an academic support for students pursuing majors, degrees and careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- Membership is optional and totally voluntary.
What are some of the benefits of joining STEM Academy?
Summer Research & Enrichment opportunities only open to STEM Academy students at SCC.
Scholarship dollars and awards only open to STEM Academy students at SCC.
STEM Pre-selection eligibility: The ability to "pre-select" your STEM courses early and receive priority registration in those courses
(NOTE: Only open to STEM Academy students who meet all program requirements each semester).
How Do I Join SCC's STEM Academy?
What are the requirements to join SCC's STEM Academy?
For New Students just beginning coursework at SCC:
- SCC is your Home Campus
- Minimum 2.7 GPA overall on your high school transcript
- Placed into a transfer-level STEM Math course (Math 160/170/180 or 219)
- Counseling appointment required during your first semester @ SCC
For Continuing Students at SCC to join STEM Academy:
- SCC is your Home Campus
- Must have completed at least 10 units of Math/Science coursework within the last year at SCC
- Maintain a 2.7 GPA minimum
- Be currently enrolled or already have completed a transfer-level STEM Math course (Math 160/170/180 or 219)
- Complete a majority of your STEM classes at SCC
- Counselor appointment required during the semester you join STEM Academy, and every semester thereafter
What are the requirements to ensure I am eligible of "STEM Pre-selection" priority registration?
To remain eligible for STEM Pre-selection (i.e., priority registration in your STEM classes at SCC for each upcoming term), you must complete the following program requirements each semester:
- Join STEM Academy and maintain program requirements each semester (see above)
- One 45-minute Counselor appointment required per semester
- Create a "Transferology" account (go to www.transferology.com and create a free student account. For more details,
- In addition to the steps above, participate in at least ONE additional STEM activity offered during the present semester that is STEM Academy-approved.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to participate in STEM Pre-Selection benefits, you must satisfy all program requirements for each semester that you are a member. Failure to do so during any membership term will result in your STEM Academy membership being terminated at the close of that incomplete term. If your membership is terminated due to failing to meet program requirements for any given term, you are encouraged to re-join STEM Academy during the following semester.
What are the current STEM Academy-approved STEM activities being offered this semester?
To remain eligible for STEM Pre-selection, you must create a "Transferology" student account AND complete one of the following approved activities during Fall 2018:
STEM WORKSHOPS - Fall 2018
Transfer Shock, Transferology & RAISE Transfer Program (RTP) – Friday, October 5 from 1:00pm-2:00pm, Room H-125.
STEM Undergraduate Research Experiences – Friday, October 19 from 1:00pm-2:00pm, Room H-125.
Strategies for Success & Time Management in STEM – Thursday, October 25 from 1:30-2:30pm, Room H-114.
Careers in STEM – Friday, November 9 from 1:00-2:00pm, Room H-125.
STEM EVENTS ON CAMPUS - Fall 2018
Biotech Science Theater 3000! presents
Jurassic Park - 25th Anniversary viewing - Friday, November 2, 2018, 6:00pm-8:30pm in room SC-105 at SCC: Come watch Jurassic Park with live commentary from your Science faculty at SCC! Participate in a lively discussion of everything they got right - and everything they got wrong - as we celebrate the 25th Anniversary of this Spielberg classic's release. Light refreshments and Costume Contest starts at 6:00pm; movie runs from 6:30-8:30pm.
Biotech Open House - Saturday, November 3, 2018, 9:00am-12:00pm at SCC: Come learn more about SCC's Biotechnology Program - a Signature Program on our campus! Info session will be provided, followed by hands-on live demonstrations and activities open to all SCC students as well as local high school students. RSVP is required: http://Tinyurl.com/fcbiotechworkshop
For more information, please visit a STEM Counselor in the SCC Counseling Center, room D-106.