A Message regarding COVID-19 from SCC Counseling
Counseling Department Online Resources
During this time of concern about the coronavirus (COVID-19), Counseling’s top priority is the health, safety, and well-being of our students and staff. We are committed to being responsive and flexible to your needs.
While the college itself remains open, in-person services in the Counseling Center - room D-106 - have been suspended until further notice.
Counseling Services are now available Online!
SPRING BREAK WEEK - LIMITED COUNSELOR AVAILABILITY
Tuesday, 4/07: Limited Counselor Availability Online from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Wednesday, 4/08: Limited Counselor Availability Online from 9:00am - 11:00am & 2:00 pm - 5:00pm
Thursday, 4/09: CLOSED FOR SPRING BREAK HOLIDAY
Friday, 4/10: CLOSED FOR SPRING BREAK HOLIDAY
LIVE-CHAT with our Counseling Department Front Staff for general questions about Online Counseling Services.
LIVE-CHAT SUPPORT-STAFF AVAILABILITY
Monday – Thursday: 8am – 5pm
Fridays: 8am – 5pm
NOTE - Live-Chat with Support Staff unavailable as follows:
Break #1 taken: 10:00am-10:15am
Lunch taken: 12pm-1pm
Break #2 taken: 3:00pm-3:15pm
TO SCHEDULE AN ONLINE COUNSELING APPOINTMENT
OR LIVE-CHAT WITH A COUNSELOR, CLICK BELOW:
Limited Online Counseling Appointments will be offered Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays.
Live-Chat services offered
Monday through Friday.
- Counseling services are being offered online through Cranium Café - a fully functional online platform offering both Live-Chat and Appointment services. For a full description of these service models, please see below. Visit the Online Counseling homepage to learn more by clicking here.
- Counseling services by Phone: If you would prefer to speak with a counselor by phone, contact the Counseling Center at (714) 628-4800 and request a Phone Counseling session.
- If you have technology needs (access to a computer; internet access, etc.) during this time of temporary online instruction and support services, the SCC Library has computers and other resources available for use in-person. Library hours are Monday through Thursday, from 7:30am – 9:30pm and Fridays, 7:30am to 1:30pm.
- Transcripts from other Colleges/Universities: Transcripts from other colleges/universities can be sent to Admissions & Records electronically (when available) or dropped off in-person (E-building) during normal business hours. Visit the Admissions & Records website for more details.
- Requesting SCC Transcripts can be done by visiting sccollege.edu/transcripts.
- A majority of common college forms (Graduation Petitions, Registration-related forms, etc.) can be found electronically on the Admissions & Records website - click the "FORMS" tab on the left side navigation pane to access several college forms online. Counseling faculty are ready to assist you with a majority of these forms through "Live-Chat" in Cranium Café. Visit the Admissions & Records website to learn more by clicking here.
For more information, contact the Counseling Center at (714) 628-4800.
Counseling Center - Spring 2020
Hours of Operation
Mondays through Thursdays, 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Fridays: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
*Unless otherwise noted*
Counseling Appointment Services Online:
The SCC Counseling Department offers a wide variety of career exploration and education planning services by appointment. Counselors are meeting virtually with students in Cranium Café for up to 45 minutes during a scheduled appointment. Appointments are being booked up to two weeks in advance, so please plan ahead and take advantage of available appointments early in the term. Please click on the "Schedule Appointment" link above to book a full, 45-minute online Counseling appointment.
The following services are currently being addressed online by Appointment:
- Comprehensive Student Education Planning (CSEPs)
- Student Education Plan Revisions/Updates
- Financial Aid Appeals requiring a new or revised/updated CSEP
- CSEPs for SCC Athletes, SCC Promise Scholarship recipients and Veteran Students seeking certification of benefits and/or priority registration
- Review of transcripts/coursework from other colleges and universities
- Pass Along Petitions - for students with previous coursework from a CSU/UC/Private/Out-of-state college or university
- In-depth career exploration and development for undecided majors
Chat with Counselor - "Live-Chat" - Counseling Services:
Counselors are also available to assist students with general questions, prerequisite clearances, overload petitions, and other quick Q&A needs by Live-Chat in Cranium Café. Live-Chat services are designed to address each student's most immediate needs in a quick and efficient manner. Live-Chat sessions with a counselor last up to 15 minutes max.
How do Live-Chat Counseling Services work in Cranium Café?
Live-Chat services allow students to chat online with Counseling faculty at SCC to get the assistance you need and quick questions answered. Wait times online can vary, and we will make every effort to see that you receive the assistance you need in a timely manner. If you believe you will need more than 15 minutes of time with a counselor to address your current concerns, please click on the "Schedule Appointment" link above and book a full, 45-minute online Counseling appointment.
Please Note: A counselor may recommend you book a full 45-minute online Counseling appointment based on your individual needs.
Live-Chat services include:
- Abbreviated Student Education Planning (one semester planning)
- Interpretation of placement recommendations in English, math and reading
- Prerequisite Clearance(s) for classes at SCC
- Graduation Petitions*
- Request to Change your Course of Study/Major
- Overload Petitions
- Petition to Substitute a Major Requirement
- Pass/No Pass questions
- Withdrawal questions
- Questions about General Education courses / "I need to select one more class"
- General Questions
*NOTE: Graduation Petition requests that involve multiple transcripts from other colleges/universities may require a full appointment.
For more information on Counseling hours and availability, please call (714) 628-4800. Your Student ID Number is required to meet with a Counselor.
Follow the SCC Counseling Department on Instagram!
Santiago Canyon College
8045 E. Chapman Ave.
Orange, CA 92869
Phone : (714) 628-4800
Please have your SCC 7-digit student ID number ready when visiting the Counseling Center.