The Vet Net Ally Mission
Developed at Cal State Long Beach, the Vet Net Ally Program is an education and awareness program that develops a network of faculty, staff, administrators and students committed to creating a welcoming and supportive campus environment for military service members and veterans here at Santiago Canyon College (SCC).
The Vet Net Ally Program supports the academic freedom and professional, personal, and social success of service members and veterans, provides support, information, and assistance for service members and veterans, respects the right to privacy and confidentiality of veterans and service members in accordance with the Confidentiality Statement in the Vet Net Ally Handbook, and creates a welcoming environment for service members and veterans at SCC by having Allies across campus display their Vet Net Ally symbols at their workstations.
The Vet Net Ally seminar is a half day event focused on the needs and concerns of military service members and veterans studying at SCC.
The seminar includes:
- Vet Net Ally Program mission and SCC's approach to assisting veterans in their academic pursuits
- Veterans experiences in the classroom
- Military and post-service culture
- Why I joined
- Who would you tell? - An experiential activity addressing the reasons men and women may or may not talk about their military experience
- Veterans issues in Higher Education
- Student veteran panel
- Being an Ally
At the end of the seminar, participants are given a decal to display in their workspace to show that they are Allies to SCC's student veterans.
VET NET Ally Programs at the Regional University
As our veterans transition to the University, we are proud to be a part of an extended network of professionals that have also participated in the Vet Net Ally Program. Look for the Vet Net Ally decal at any of the following universities.
- Cal State Dominguez Hills
- Cal State Fullerton
- Cal State Long Beach
- Cal State Los Angeles
- University of California, Irvine
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of Southern California
- Vanguard University