The Student Leadership Institute (SLI) at Santiago Canyon College is a non-credit certificate program in partnership with Cal State Fullerton. SLI Students are required to attend a series of workshops and will earn a leadership certificate from Cal State Fullerton upon program completion. Workshops are offered through SCC and focus on developing necessary skills for effective leadership and overall character. Participation in SLI is free of charge and open to all SCC students. There are no minimum unit requirements, specific GPA nor prior leadership experience needed to participate in the program.
The Student Leadership Institute is dedicated to empowering students with vital skills that will create and enhance their leadership abilities, making them invaluable contributors in their community. SLI is committed to ensuring students have access to non-traditional opportunities that will assist with their growth, development and ability to apply practical leadership skills in order to be successful in their daily endeavors on a variety of levels: socially, educationally, and in their careers.
Benefits of Program Participation
As a participant of SLI, you will:
- Receive a program completion certificate that will be beneficial to you for transferring
- Acquire and develop the skills and awareness necessary to become an effective leader on campus, in your community, and in your career
- Earn a leadership certificate signed by the vice president of Cal State Fullerton, a very marketable tool on your resume
- Learn the value of networking through program participation and interaction with fellow students, faculty, staff and administration
- Learn to communicate effectively with confidence and develop confidence in your abilities to explore challenging issues
- Understand and develop an increased awareness of current leadership styles and issues of diversity
- Develop life skills that are essential to achieving established goals and objectives
- Be engaged in co-curricular activities that will augment academic learning
- Must be a current Santiago Canyon College Student, enrolled in at least 1 unit.
- Participants must attend and participate in the 5 workshops for a total of 14 hours.
- The program is designed to be completed one semester.
Introduction to Leadership
Leading a Balanced Lifestyle
Teamwork and Collaboration
Marketing Your Leadership Abilities
Leadership for What?
Spring 2018 Session Dates
|EVERY FRIDAY||SESSION TIME||LOCATION|
|Feb. 23||10:00AM - 2:30PM||E-203*|
|March 2, 9, 16, 23||10:00AM - 2:30PM||E-203*|
*Location may vary.
Award Banquet @ California State University, Fullerton
Date: April 16, 2018
Location: Titan Student Union Pavilions ABC, Fullerton, CA
Enroll in the Student Leadership Institute
To enroll in the Student Leadership Institute:
- Complete the SLI Application and submit it to the Office of Student Life and Leadership in A-206.
For additional information, please contact:
Office of Student Life and Leadership, A-206
Comments from SLI Participants
“The Student Leadership Institute has become a very important part of my educational experience… The program has allowed me to gain important skills that are needed for the business world as well as skills needed to operate successfully in my everyday life.”
Susan, SLI Participant
“[SLI] continually challenges my interactions with others, my professionalism, and my development as a student leader. It has given me the opportunity to work collectively as a team with a shared vision, network with the campus community, and have fun while doing it!”
Jamie, SLI Participant
“Being involved in SLI has given me the opportunity to uncover many of my hidden skills that I now appreciate I have. Through SLI, I believe the common student transforms into a great leader who has the ability to make a positive difference in their community.”
Dalia, SLI Participant