What is the California Dream Act?
The California Dream Act (also known as AB 131) allows students who are AB 540 eligible to apply for California state financial aid programs, including:
- Board of Governors Fee Waivers
- State financial aid like Cal Grants and Chafee Grants
- Assistance from EOPS, CARE or CalWORKs
- Privately-funded scholarships
Link To California Dream Act Forms here
What is an AB 540 student?
You are an AB 540 student, and exempt from paying non-resident enrollment fees, if you meet all of the following criteria:
- Attended a California high school for at least three years;
- Graduated from a California high school, or got a GED, or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam;
- Are registered or enrolled at a California community college;
-- AND --
- If required, you have completed an affidavit saying you have filed (or will file when you are eligible to do so) for legal immigration status.
Please contact your college Admissions Office to determine if you are AB 540 eligible.
To read more, click here.
To complete an AB 540 Board of Governors Fee Waiver Application, click here.