Sign In
Students standong at the railing

California Residency

​All students are classified as either a resident of the State of California or non-resident when applying for admission.

·      A “resident” is a student who has residence in the state for more than one year before the initiation of a semester or term (EC 68017), based on the “Residency Determination Date” which is the day immediately preceding the opening of instruction.

·      A non-resident is a student who has not established residence in the State of California for one year as of the residency determination date.

1.   Persons who are 18 years of age or older (adults) establish residency in a​ccordance with EC 68017 above. Adult residency begins after the 18th birthday.

2.   Persons who are under 18 years of age (minors) establish residence in accordance with above “resident” definition and the following:

a.   Married minors may establish their own residence.

b.   The residence of the parent with whom an unmarried minor child maintains a place of abode is the residence of the unmarried minor child. When the minor lives with neither parent, residence is that of the parent with whom the minor last resided. The minor may establish residence when both parents are deceased and a legal guardian has not been appointed.

c.   The residency of unmarried minors who have a parent living cannot be changed by their own acts, appointment of legal guardians, or relinquishment of a parent’s right of control (EC 68062).

3.   Exceptions apply under certain conditions to active members of the military.

4.   Specific residency problems will be answered by the Admissions & Records Office or referred to the County Counsel.

5.   Non-citizen Students:  Students with a “permanent resident” visa, refugee status, or amnesty approval may establish residency in accordance with above discussion. All visas must be examined by the college to determine residency status.

6.   RESIDENCY DETERMINATION DATE: In order to be a CA resident, a student must provide documentation, preferably a CA driver's license or DMV issued ID, federal and state income tax forms, and/or one year of documentation from a state agency, such as Calworks. This documentation must be at least one year and a day prior to the start of the semester or session. Students who have applied for a change of status to become a US resident must bring in all application paperwork related to this request for change of status.