ACCELERATED ENGLISH LANGUAGE TRAINING PROGRAM
The English Language Program (ELP) at SCC is an intensive English language training program designed for beginner, intermediate and advanced level international (F-1) students looking to improve their English skills in preparation for study at U.S. colleges and universities. The program is designed for students who have some knowledge of English.
The ELP instruction focuses on areas such as grammar, listening, speaking with vocabulary development, writing and reading skills. International students are provided with opportunities to interact with SCC students by participating in conversation activities with in-class partners. Students are exposed to cultural aspects of the language and its pragmatic application through participation in selected activities on campus and through various workshops. Workshops are carefully selected based on student language proficiency. Speech workshops are provided and integrated into the ELP curriculum.
The ELP is both preparatory (for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam) and academically-oriented. All ELP students will take the TOEFL exam at the end of the semester. Upon completion and passing the TOEFL exam, ELP students can transfer to SCC college-credit associate degree program.
Experienced instructors who understand the challenges of language learning teach all courses.
All courses use a variety of instructional techniques and methods
All courses are student-focused and emphasize practice
Preparation for the TOEFL exam and get students ready for college-level programs.
The English Language Program at SCC is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
Things You Need to Know About ELP
Apply to Santiago Canyon College online
Submit the required supplemental documents to the International Student Office
Provide proof of financial eligibility or support (minimum $23,852)
Be at least 18 years or older
Provide proof of high school completion/diploma
- Each session consists of 24 clock hours of instruction per week, in-person, on-campus at SCC.
- 16-week session dates: February – June & August – December
- 8-week session dates: April – June, June – August & October – December
- Instruction hours: Monday to Thursday from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- The student cannot be absent from class for more than:
- 12 hours during the 16-week session
- 6 hours during the 8-week session
- If a student misses more than the hours allowed, the student's I-20 will be terminated and the student will have to leave the U.S.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- All ELP students will take TOEFL at the end of the semester
- Students who score 450 points or higher can take the Test of English Language Development (TELD) placement test to start a college-credit program at SCC
- Students who do not pass the required TOEFL score to enroll in the college credit program must enroll in the next session of ELP