E-reference service via Ask a Librarian Online Chat/Text Messaging is for students, faculty, administrators, and staff of Santiago Canyon College [SCC]. Inquiries from outside the SCC community are answered as time and resources permit. This service is available during Library business hours when classes are in session. [See: Library Hours]
The e-Reference online chat and text messaging services provide brief assistance and/or information on:
- starting points for research, e.g., which resources to use
- suggestions on research or information searching strategies
- Ready Reference factual questions
- basic, general documentation and citation questions
- NoodleTools citation composer [limited to SCC students & faculty]
- SCC library services, facilities, policies, e.g., connecting from home, online renewals, etc.
Ask a Librarian chat and text message service does not provide the following:
- medical, legal, or financial assistance or advice
- interpretation of class assignments or other materials
- in-depth research assistance
For more extensive or in-depth assistance, the reference librarian may recommend that the online user visit the Library in person.
Non-SCC users may be referred to another community library or asked to visit the SCC Library for additional assistance.
Revised: December 5, 2018