Welcome to the Placement Testing Webpage
To assist you in successfully reaching your education goals, we request that most students complete assessment or placement testing in English, Reading and Math. This enables us to counsel you as to the appropriate English, Reading and Math courses you should take.
For students wishing to complete advanced Chemistry coursework at SCC, the Testing Center also offers placement testing for Chemistry 219.
Test Results and/or Coursework from Other Colleges
Recent placement results from other colleges (in the last two years for English or in the last year for math) may be accepted. Students must bring official copies of placement test results to the SCC Counseling Center (D-106) for verification and course prerequisite clearance. For more information on course prerequisite clearance, click here.
Steps to Complete Testing
- New students must first apply to the college.
- Students who have applied to the college will need to call 714-628-4985 to schedule a placement testing appointment. Please have your 7-digit SCC student ID number (example: 231xxxx) ready when calling for a testing appointment. Priority testing appointments are available on a first-come first-served basis. Continuing students who have not tested or who need to retest should complete testing during priority testing.
- After you complete testing, you will be directed to attend new student orientation and advisement with a counselor where you will receive your test results and other information about certificate, degree, and university transfer requirements, courses, and programs and services.
- To determine the next available testing date and schedule an appointment, call the Testing Center at 714-628-4985.
Please ensure that you have already applied to the college, and have your 7-digit SCC student ID number available, before you call to schedule a placement testing appointment.
ATTENTION CONTINUING STUDENTS: If you are a continuing student and need to take an English or Math placement exam, please contact the Testing Center directly in order to sign up for an exam at 714-628-4985.
Guidelines for Testing
- Please arrive to Room E-303
15 minutes early. Late students will not be admitted.
must have a picture I.D.
- Students must have a 7-digit student number
- Combined Reading, English, and Math testing will take approximately 3 hours to complete.
- Test results are given in person only.
- Test results will not be released over the telephone.
If you have additional questions, call the Testing Center at 714-628-4985, or the Counseling Center at 714-628-4800.
Students who require disability-related accommodations for placement tests must request them at least two weeks prior to testing and provide disability verification from a qualified professional To arrange for testing accommodations, contact Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS) at 714-628-4860.