NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is currently accepting applications for the Spring 2017 Student Independent Research Internship (SIRI) Program!
To be eligible for SIRI, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA
- Must be over the age of 18, and must be a US citizen or Legal Permanent Resident
- Must be currently enrolled in a community college or 4-year college/university that is a SIRI partner campus
- Must receive independent study credit for the SIRI experience at your college/university
- Must be able to intern for 10-15 hours per week on the JPL premises (no off-lab or online activities are permitted)
- Must be able to commit for one quarter or semester
- Must be willing to participate in bi-weekly intern meetings, and prepare progress plans, reports, and make a final presentation
Please note the following:
- SIRI is an unpaid internship experience, and students will not receive compensation for travel to and from JPL.
- Students must remain enrolled in their independent study credit hours for the duration of the internship.
- Students may only participate in SIRI for one quarter or semester.
- Fall SIRI internships run for 10-15 weeks, with the earliest start date being January 9, 2017.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING
1. To be considered for a SIRI internship, please the current listing of Spring 2017 "Announcements of Opportunity" by clicking here. Please read these announcements very carefully to determine which projects are best aligned with your research interests, skills, and academic background. Students are permitted to apply for a maximum of TWO (2) opportunities. Please note: The preferred major(s) for each AO can be found at the bottom of the records, beginning with "primary discipline."
2. Once you have determined the opportunities for which you will apply, please complete a resume that includes the following required information:
- Full name and current contact information
- Current major(s) and minor(s) if applicable
- Cumulative GPA – resumes without a GPA will be RETURNED
- Previous work experience, research experience, special projects, etc. (if applicable)
- Coursework and/or skills that are relevant to the opportunity
You are welcome to include additional information beyond what is listed here, but please limit your resume to no more than two pages.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE PREPARE A SEPARATE RESUME AND ELECTRONIC COPY OF YOUR UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT FOR EACH OPPORTUNITY, AND SAVE EACH RESUME/TRANSCRIPT USING A FILENAME THAT CONTAINS YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME AND THE AO NUMBER. The AO number can be found at the very top of each announcement of opportunity.
3. All resumes and unofficial transcripts must be sent to Dr. Phil Crabill at SCC via email by clicking here no later than Monday, November 28th, 2016 at 5:00pm. Do not send your resumes directly to JPL. Should we decide to nominate you for one or more internships, your materials will be forwarded to JPL. Students are selected for internships by JPL scientists and engineers. Please note that this is a competitive process, and meeting the eligibility requirements for SIRI does not guarantee an internship offer.
If you have questions or concerns about the SIRI program, please feel free to contact Roslyn Soto via email or telephone for more information. I hope you will consider applying for a SIRI internship with the Jet Propulsion Laboratory!
818-354-1214 – office