The Psychology Program at Santiago Canyon College offers a variety of courses designed to prepare you for an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree in Psychology, or to transfer to a four year college or university.
Completion of the two-year degree is appropriate for students whose vocational plans include helping people (i.e., teaching, social welfare, probation, criminology, nursing, law, personnel).
The program also provides excellent preparation for transferring students who desire a future career in any of the more than twenty branches of psychology including child, clinical, counseling, industrial, experimental, and college teaching.
Student Learning Outcomes for Students Completing the Associate's Degree in Psychology:
Demonstrate familiarity with the major concepts, theoretical perspectives, empirical
findings, and historical trends in psychology.
Respect and use critical thinking, skeptical inquiry, and when possible, the scientific approach to solve problems related to behavior and mental processes.
Develop insight into their own and other’s behavior and mental processes and apply
effective strategies for self-management and self-improvement.
Psychology Courses at SCC
- Psych 100 Introduction to Psychology
- Psych 100H Honors Introduction to Psychology
- Psych 157 Introduction to Child Psychology
- Psych 170 Multicultural Psychology
- Psych 180 Psychology of Gender
- Psych 200 Introduction to Biological Psychology
- Psych 219/220 (2018) Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology
- Psych 230 Psychology and Effective Behavior
- Psych 240 Introduction to Social Psychology
- Psych 250 Introduction to Abnormal Psychology