Who can enroll in Honors Courses?
At SCC, you do not have to be admitted into the Honors Program to take an honors course.
Regularly admitted students who meet the course prerequisites may take an Honors class.
- First-time freshmen need to bring a high school transcript to the Counseling Department to receive a signed prerequisite clearance form prior to enrolling in an Honors class. Students who completed college work while in high school need to use the college GPA and units.
- Continuing College students need a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA from all institutions attended. Transfer students will need college transcripts from all previous institutions.
- Career Advanced Placement (CAP) students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in any college coursework and have a minimum 3.0 GPA in high school.
If you have a posted Santiago Canyon College GPA, you must have a signed waiver from a counselor and then register online.
What are the benefits to students taking Honors classes?
There are many benefits to you as a student in the Honors Program:
- Smaller classes
- More one-on-one interaction with your professors and peers
- An enriched environment that allows for student-directed activities and discussions, guest speakers, field trips, and more professors who are committed to innovative teaching styles and strategies
- A learning community of students who share a curiosity and an analytical approach to education
- Designation on your transcript of honors courses
Why should I enroll in the Honors Program rather than just take Honors courses?
- Designation on your transcript as having completed the program
- Designation on your transcript and diploma as a President's Scholar if you meet the criteria.
- Accumulation of honors credits to graduate as a President's Scholar and to receive benefits from four-year institutions
- Letters of recommendation from the Honors Program faculty
- Honors Transfer Agreements with four-year institutions
- The support of a learning community of students with shared goals, attitudes, and motivation
- Participation in the annual Honors Alliance Research Symposium
- To receive Honors Program credit for all Honors courses taken prior to enrollment in the Honors Program
- Pre-counseling for Honors classes
What are the requirements to complete the Honors Program?
Additional Honors Program details can be located in the SCC College Catalog.