Sign In
8045 E. Chapman Ave. Orange, CA 92869 (714) 628-4900
Home Apply Online Records/WebAdvisor

UC Language Requirement

Proficiency in a Language Other Than English

Students may demonstrate proficiency for the purpose of fulfilling the Language Other Than English IGETC requirement in one of the following ways:

  • Complete two years of high school coursework in one language other than English with a grade of C or better.
  • Complete a course or courses at a college or university with a grade of C or better in each course. Any course (excluding conversation courses) considered by the college or university to be equivalent to two years of high school language may be used. Many college catalogs list the prerequisite for the second course in a language as: Language 1 at this college, or two years of high school language. In this case Language 1 clears both years of the requirement.
  • Achieve a satisfactory score onĀ  the SAT Subject Test in languages other than English. If the test was taken before May 1995, the first score is the minimum; if the test was taken after May 1995, use the second score.

Chinese With Listening: not offered before 1995/520
French/French With Listening: 500/540
German/German With Listening: 500/510
Hebrew (Modern): 500/470
Italian: 500/520
Japanese With Listening: 500/510
Korean/Korean With Listening: not offered before 1995/500
Latin: 500/530
Spanish/Spanish With Listening: 500/520

  • Achieve a score of 3, 4 or 5 on a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examination in a language other than English.
  • Achieve a score of 5 or higher on an International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examination in a language other than English.
  • Satisfactorily complete a proficiency test administered by a community college, university or other college in a language other than English. The test must assess the student proficiency at a level equivalent to at least two years of high school language.
  • Complete, with grades of C or better, two years of formal schooling at the sixth-grade level or higher in an institution where the language of instruction is not English. If secondary school was completed in a non-English-speaking country and the language of instruction of the secondary school was not English, language other than English proficiency can be certified for IGETC without further evaluation. The student must present appropriate documentation of attendance at the secondary school.