Navigate Up
Sign In
8045 E. Chapman Ave. Orange, CA 92869 (714) 628-4900
Home Apply Online Records/WebAdvisor

State Programs

decorative: abstract banner graphic


The state of California offers Cal Grants to qualifying students who are residents of California and have graduated from a California high school.  Award is based on financial need and GPA. 

General Eligibility Requirements for CA Grant Programs

To be Generaly Eigible for a Cal Grant you must:


·         Submit the FAFSA and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline of March 2nd. California Community Colleges has an additional deadline of September 2nd if you missed the 1st deadline.       

·         Be a California resident

·         Be U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens

·         Meet U.S. Selective Service requirements

·         Attend an eligible California college or university

·         Be enrolled at least half time

·         Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by the school

·         Not be in default on any federal or state education loan or owe grant refund.



Cal Grant  A


Cal Grant A eligibility is based on financial need and GPA.  Assistance is provided to meet tuition and fee costs at four-year universities.  Awards to community college students may be placed on "reserve" for a maximum of two years, until a student transfers to a four-year institution.  Award amounts: $2,772 at CSU, $6,636 at UC, $9,708 at independent colleges.  

Cal Grant  B


Cal Grant B is provided to students from low-income families who are the first in their family to attend college.  The maximum award amount is $ 1,551 per year and will be prorated for less than full-time students.  This grant may be used at community colleges and universities, not to exceed four years.  Cal Grant B students also receive tuition costs at the same level as Cal Grant A, beginning the junior year. 

Cal Grant  C


Cal Grant C awards help pay for tuition and training costs at occupational or career colleges. This $576 award is for books, tools and equipment. You may also receive up to an additional $2,592 for tuition at a school other than a California Community College. To qualify, you must enroll in a vocational program that is at least four months long at a California Community College, private college, or a vocational school. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of your program.

Additional State Programs

Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant is free money for current or former foster youth to help pay for college or career or technical training that you don’t have to pay back. You may also be able to use your grant to pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. The Chafee Grant is federally and state funded and each year is subject to availability of funds. 



Board of Governors Waiver (BOGW)

California's Board of Governors Waiver (BOGW) Program waives enrollment fees for qualified residents of California for the entire school year.  Students may receive a waiver for any number of units, with no minimum.  All students with some financial need qualify in addition to those who receive Aid to Families with Dependent Children or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (AFDC/TANF), Supplemental Security Income or General Assistance.  Students must submit a FAFSA for processing in order to establish eligibility, or current documentation of receipt of TANF/CalWORKs, SSI or General Assistance.  This is a state program for CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS.  It pays the Enrollment fee. There is no unit requirement.  There are three ways to qualify for a BOGW:

1.   Demonstrate financial need by applying for financial aid with the FAFSA application 



2.   You or your family are receiving TANF/CalWorks (formerly AFDC),  SSI (Supplemental Social Security Income), General Relief, or you are a disabled veteran or a dependent of a deceased or disabled veteran as certified by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs or you are the recipient of the Congressional of Honor or a dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack; or the dependent of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty  


3.   You meet specific income standards based upon family size. This income criteria also applies to EOPS eligibility.

Total Family Income
Number in Household
(including yourself)
2007 Income
(and/or Untaxed Income)
1 $ 15,315
2 $ 20,535
3 $ 25,755
4 $ 30,975
5 $ 36,195
6 $ 41,415
7 $ 46,635
8 $ 51,855
Each additional family member $ 5,220


Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)


These state funded EOPS and CARE grant programs are designed to assist students from low income families who are educationally disadvantaged.  Book grants may be available too.




All of the above programs (with the exception of the Board of Governor's Fee Waiver and scholarships)  require that you file the  <> This application may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office or any college or high school.

The Financial Aid staff is available to assist you through the application process in order to determine which financial aid programs you qualify for.  We are committed to the prompt delivery of student aid and we strive to provide quality service to students.  To speak with a financial aid representative, please call the Santiago Canyon College Financial Aid Office at (714) 628-4876 or visit us in Building E, Room 104.