What is the California Dream Act?
The Dream Act is really two laws that were passed in 2011 and all AB 540 students to apply for and receive several types of financial aid, including:
- Board of Governors Fee Waivers
- State financial aid like Cal Grants and Chafee Grants
- Assistance from EOPS, CARE or CalWORKs
- Privately-funded scholarships
What is an AB 540 student?
You are an AB 540 student, and exempt from paying non-resident enrollment fees, if you meet all of the following criteria:
- Attended a California high school for at least tree years;
- Graduated from a California high school, got a GED or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam;
- Are registered or enrolled at a California community college;
- If required, complete an affidavit saying you have filed (or will file when you are eligible to do so) for legal immigration status.
Please contact your college Admissions Office to determine if you are AB 540 eligible.
To read more click here
To complete an AB 540 Board of Governors Fee Waivers Application click here