About The SCC Honors Program
New Page 1
Who can enroll in Honors Courses?
At SCC, you do not have to be admitted into the Honors Program to take an honors course.
A student meeting any the following guidelines may enroll in an honors course:
If you have a posted Santiago Canyon College GPA, you may register for any Honors course by telephone or in person as you would for any other course. If you do not have a posted Santiago Canyon College GPA, you must have a signed waiver from a counselor or the Honors Program Coordinator and then register in person.
What are the benefits to students taking Honors classes?
There are many benefits to you as a student in the Honors Program:
- Smaller classes
- More one-on-one interaction with your professors and peers
- An enriched environment that allows for student-directed activities and discussions, guest speakers, field trips and more professors who are committed to innovative teaching styles and strategies
- A learning community of students who share a curiosity and an analytical approach to education
- Designation on your transcript of honors courses
Why should I enroll in the Honors Program rather than just take Honors courses?
- Designation on your transcript as having completed the program
- Designation on your transcript and diploma as a President's Scholar if you meet the criteria.
- Accumulation of honors credits to graduate as a President's Scholar and to receive benefits from four-year institutions
- Letters of recommendation from the Honors Program faculty
- Honors Transfer Agreements with 12 four-year institutions
- The support of a learning community of students with shared goals, attitudes, and motivation Scholarships
- Participation in the annual Honors Alliance Research Symposium
- To receive Honors Program credit for all Honors course taken prior to enrollment in the Honors Program
- Pre-counseling for Honors classes
What are the requirements to complete the Honors Program?
Additional Honors Program details can be located on page 10 of the 2012/2013 SCC Catalog.